HTG Octocloner!!for growing any thoughts??

Bigz

HTG Octocloner!!for growing any thoughts??

Post by Bigz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 am

I was just curious as to using this cloner or sprinkler system to grow one plant..I mean it clones them great pretty much every clone i have put in this system had cloned no problems(5 yrs now)and roots can grow to bottom of the bucket if i let them. Do you think it would grow a plant like in a dwc system.. With Nuclear juice and hydroguard do you think it would grow? I guess it would still need oxygen or something when roots got big

The sprinkler sets 3/4 to the top of bucket but can break it down shorter for room if need be. Any thoughts would be appreciated and accepted, I am not even saying it will work but it does form nice roots..Here is the octo cloner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjwMH5336U

Thank you :D-

wirehedd

Post by wirehedd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Bigz wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:25 am
I was just curious as to using this cloner or sprinkler system to grow one plant..I mean it clones them great pretty much every clone i have put in this system had cloned no problems(5 yrs now)and roots can grow to bottom of the bucket if i let them. Do you think it would grow a plant like in a dwc system.. With Nuclear juice and hydroguard do you think it would grow? I guess it would still need oxygen or something when roots got big

The sprinkler sets 3/4 to the top of bucket but can break it down shorter for room if need be. Any thoughts would be appreciated and accepted, I am not even saying it will work but it does form nice roots..Here is the octo cloner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjwMH5336U

Thank you :D-
I use DWC and my systems are pretty close to the way these cloners work (I just built a "copy" of one w 48 sites) with airstones, netpots and nutes. I wouldn't use the collars at all after the initial rooting, but rather hydroton and rockwool. A bubbler DWC system will give you great results so long as you maintain it properly and ensure the water level, nutes and pH are all in range for what you're growing.

Hope this helps.

Bigz

Post by Bigz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Thank you for the reply @wirehedd..good info! The thing that i am confused about is that the cloner likes the temps to be 72-78 for best results it seems any colder then that and it takes way longer..get the roots but a dwc likes 62-68 temps reportedly. I get white roots from the cloner with those temps and all the time with no slime or smell and this was when i never even tested ph but once when i 1st moved here. Do you think that i could run my DWC temps around 70 degree and maybe get faster results and still be good with warmer water temps since the cloner does good at warmer temps? All my plants grow real good in soil.

wirehedd

Post by wirehedd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 am

Bigz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Thank you for the reply @wirehedd..good info! The thing that i am confused about is that the cloner likes the temps to be 72-78 for best results it seems any colder then that and it takes way longer..get the roots but a dwc likes 62-68 temps reportedly. I get white roots from the cloner with those temps and all the time with no slime or smell and this was when i never even tested ph but once when i 1st moved here. Do you think that i could run my DWC temps around 70 degree and maybe get faster results and still be good with warmer water temps since the cloner does good at warmer temps? All my plants grow real good in soil.
Always here to help if I can.

I keep the cloner temps between 72 and 75 and no higher by keeping the cloner on a double size heatmat with a temp probe in the water. My grow area is between 65 and 70 degrees at all times so I never have heat problems other than a lack of it. I also cheat* with a splash of Hydroguard (less than a ml/gal) and I keep the pH at about 6.5. I use the StimRoot #2 powder root hormone on the cutting tips but I also use the Clonex root stimulator at 1/4 strength in the water.

As for your DWC I would never let it rise above 68-69, preferably 65-68, just for root health reason and to avoid any chances of root rot or heat browning (learned that the hard way). Again, Hydroguard at half strength or less and pH starting at 5.5-5.7 and allowing some drift up to maybe 6.1-6.3 between reservoir changes. I also add 2-3ml/gal of hydrogen peroxide midway of each reservoir cycle just to help oxygen levels and to keep things a little less mildew prone. Warmer water will not really help your plants and in some cases will actually hinder the growth. Not a lot of warm water at higher elevations of the Hindu Kush Mountains :)

Warmer clones yes, but not the DWC.

*note: I also occasionally use a "hybrid" setup for clones with smaller airstones and a fogponic piezo fogger to add to the root exposure and find this works well with strains that are slow to root. You can pick these foggers up for less than $5 each from Chinese distros. They don't tend to last more than 2 or 3 cycles before they bung up the piezo but for what they cost the added stimulation of the roots is worth it. I avoid sprayer systems due to my own paranoia that if the power goes out your clones are FUBAR. At least with a DWC type cloner they have water to sit in.

Hope some of this helps.