Anyone use Rain Water?

sirhchrhis808

Anyone use Rain Water?

Post by sirhchrhis808 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:07 am

Here in Hawaii, we're abundant with rain and sunshine. while growing up, my grandparent would setup a huge basin to catch rainwater from their downspout, and setup buckets for water at the eves their carport too, all of this still exists today and they keep using rainwater in their garden. they used only rainwater to water their garden and they've always been bountiful. In fact, my grandfather grew cannabis before law enforcement took them away, he only used rainwater on them - no nutrients. When I showed him my grow lab :D he saw all the nutes that I was using or going to use, and asked what were all those bottles for. I told him it was fertilizers, he laughed and said, i just use the rain water. but the thing was, he didnt grow them in pots, but in the ground. To confirm this, I follow a bunch of Instagrammer on the Big Island of Hawaii, specifically Hilo. If you ever get to see Hilo, it's just an abundance of green and a lot of rain, acid rain. I really dont know if it's the volcanic activity that contributes to it, but i'm pretty sure it is. Houses there look like shacks because the roofs are made with corrugated galvanized steel. A lot of them are outdoor growers, and their plants get a good flushing of rain. coupled with modern day fertilizers and nutes, these guys grow some super nice plants.

so looking at future builds, i'll probably setup a rain catchment/harvest system. Just wanted to know if there were anyone else already using rainwater in their grows.

Longbow

Post by Longbow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:54 am

Hey there sirhchrhis808...
I have not used Rainwater indoors but it is awesome for "outdoor" plants. It can also be a problem if the rain water has "bud-rot" spores in it and then use it on "indoor" plants. Here's info from an article I read...

"How does the Botrytis fungus get to my plants? Bud rot is spread to plants by dusty gray spores, usually in wind or water.
Most common ways Bud rot fungus spores get to plants:
▪️Wind
▪️Rain Water

I enjoyed your post and description of Hawaiian life. Wish I was there!
All the best
 ! Message from: Longbow
WATCH OUR HUGE PURPLE COLA VIDEOS
HI, Michael-Dawn, we make the "Purple Dawn Strain" for Cody!
AVAILABLE HERE AT NUKEHEADS ONLY

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHANNEL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCijW-X ... PdPxYdCaVw

Hoosier420

Post by Hoosier420 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 pm

I've used rain water a few times during this grow. Otherwise I use bottled spring water for water only....tap water when feeding NukeHeads nutes.

Hoosier420

Post by Hoosier420 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Longbow wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:54 am
I have not used Rainwater indoors but it is awesome for "outdoor" plants. It can also be a problem if the rain water has "bud-rot" spores in it and then use it on "indoor" plants. Here's info from an article I read...

"How does the Botrytis fungus get to my plants? Bud rot is spread to plants by dusty gray spores, usually in wind or water.
Most common ways Bud rot fungus spores get to plants:
▪️Wind
▪️Rain Water

I enjoyed your post and description of Hawaiian life. Wish I was there!
All the best
Oh my....I didn't know that. No more rain water for my girls.

My thought process was it's all natural and most likely pH balanced by natural means.

sirhchrhis808

Post by sirhchrhis808 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 am

I’ve never seen any of my grandparents gardens in ver experience any kind of rot. Maybe it’s our environment? I was thinking about creating adding a filtration media at bottom of the basin, from coarse to fine. Still an idea yet...

Longbow

Post by Longbow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 am

sirhchrhis808 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 am
I’ve never seen any of my grandparents gardens in ver experience any kind of rot. Maybe it’s our environment? I was thinking about creating adding a filtration media at bottom of the basin, from coarse to fine. Still an idea yet...
After I read the article about Bud Rot Spores in Rainwater, I thought "why take a chance and accidentally bring it into my grow in the water?" Sorta like not entering my grow with the same clothes used while gardening, outdoor work or someone else's grow. You have a Great idea about filtering the rain water! Maybe some diatomaceous earth, it will get those nasty spores! 😊
All the best...
 ! Message from: Longbow
WATCH OUR HUGE PURPLE COLA VIDEOS
HI, Michael-Dawn, we make the "Purple Dawn Strain" for Cody!
AVAILABLE HERE AT NUKEHEADS ONLY

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHANNEL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCijW-X ... PdPxYdCaVw

Gotnuked

Post by Gotnuked » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:35 pm

I've used rain water alot of times. Just make sure u use clean water buckets and check the pH. I have never had a issue. Keep growing them big.
Gotnuked

greencacique

Post by greencacique » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Rain water is what I'm using in my grow om here in hawaii big island it heys kimf of acidic sometomes runs from 4.5 the less I as it and 6.9 the most I always get my water before use and prepare it one or 2 days before leave it with a air pump and most of the times adicity comes down a lot so I'm always cheking ph haven't had any bud rot my flowering ones are doing good not great the place I was before was too contaminated with shit and the article is good but severity that that info can match with hawaii environment here we have a lot volcanic material in the air is good my ppm runs sometimes from 20 to 70 on rain water I say here in hawaii island is a plus even when had tap water service use to blend the waters cheers and happy growing bro
Attachments
20171212_093640.jpg
20171212_093636.jpg
20171212_093803.jpg

Gotnuked

Post by Gotnuked » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm

:420chick: great job ur lady's are looking good. Keep growing them big.
Gotnuked